Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
MBSR is an eight-week stress reduction program teaching mindfulness meditation and awareness practices that have been shown to dramatically decrease stress and improve well -being for individuals with a wide range of conditions and concerns.
What are the benefits of mindfulness and MBSR?
The benefits of MBSR and mindfulness training are far-reaching and have been supported by more than 30 years of published research. What does this mean for you? MBSR offers practical methods to help you:
- Stop adding more stress to your life through coping strategies that don’t work, such as procrastination, using distractions and other behaviors that just make matters worse in the long run
- Feel better physically through improved sleep, reduced physical stress, and by meeting pain, illness and change with more ease and equanimity
- Improve attention and awareness, reduce the impact of worry and stressful thinking, and support being more present to life’s pleasures and the gifts each day brings
- Improve the quality of relationships – experiencing a greater sense of connection to self and others – becoming more aware, present and able to be your best self at work, at home and in all the relationships of your life
- Live more fully into each day – with increased confidence, resilience and an ability to meet life on its own terms – connecting to the beauty and possibility of each moment, even in difficult times
Participating in an MBSR class is an effective way to develop your own inner resources to live each day with more balance and equanimity. While the seeds of mindfulness live in each one of us – cultivating those seeds takes practice and support.
What are MBSR classes like?
The 8-week MBSR class consists of eight weekly, two-and-a-quarter hour sessions, and one day-long class/retreat. Each class includes periods of guided practice, discussion, mindfulness exercises to develop attention and awareness, and information about how mindfulness benefits the brain and the body to become more resilient to stress.
Classes take place in a comfortable, relaxed and supportive setting. The mindfulness practices taught in class include periods of sitting on a chair or on a cushion if you prefer), lying down, slow walking, and gentle yoga movement. All materials are provided included guided meditation recordings, and there are a variety of physical supports for your practice including chairs, cushions and yoga mats, all available on-site.
What mindfulness skills will I learn?
During the eight weeks of the class, participants learn a variety of mindfulness meditation exercises and practices, and explore many informal ways of bringing mindfulness into daily life. In addition to working with each of the practices, there is ample time for questions and discussion. The practices taught during the course include:
- The Body Scan Meditation
- Mindful Yoga (simple postures and gentle movement practice)
- Sitting Meditation
- Walking Meditation
- Exercises to increase mindful awareness in daily life
Participants also receive audio recordings and written materials to guide and support daily practice between class sessions
What about physical conditions or mobility limitations?
People participate in MBSR classes with a wide range in mobility – practices can be adapted to accommodate most physical conditions and limitations. Participants are encouraged to adjust practice postures whenever necessary, and your instructor will work with you to adapt any of the methods as needed. Chairs, yoga mats, cushions, and blankets are available for use during class sessions, and you are also welcome to bring your own props or cushions to provide optimal support for your practice.
How do I get started?
The first step to participating is to attend an Orientation session. At the Orientation you will learn more about mindfulness and the MBSR class, meet with the class instructor and ask any questions you may have about the program.
Orientation sessions are free of charge, and do not obligate you to sign up for the class. They are open to anyone interested in learning about MBSR or as a first step to enrolling in the program. Attending an Orientation is required of all participants prior to registering.
Tuition and payment information
Course Tuition: $425 early registration ($475 after early registration date)
- The standard 8-week MBSR Program – 27 hours direct instruction: 8 weekly classes & all-day retreat
- All class materials: Guided practice recordings, workbook, post-program support resources
- Invitation to future MBSR All-Day Retreats at no charge
- After the first class: 40% ~ No refunds after the second class session
MBSR is not therapy or medical treatment. However, some insurance plans do cover health education and wellness classes. If your plan covers the MBSR program, we will provide the information you need to request reimbursement directly from your insurer.